Only Icicles Growing Here: Garden Bloggers Bloom Day February 2015

– Posted in: What's up/blooming

yardstick measuring snowfall

Click to enlarge

We’ve had plenty of cold (subzero Fahrenheit temps at night) and plenty of snow (pushing 18 inches at this point), and the only thing growing here is icicles. They grow when the sun shines, especially if we manage to hover around the freezing point, our new definition of a heat wave. And the sun hasn’t been shining much, otherwise they’d be much longer by now. (Or broken off by a victim of cabin fever who can’t resist.)

Okay, so I’m exaggerating. Slightly.

There are no new things growing here since last Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, and several plants have come and gone. I’ll show you what you missed.

Amaryllis

The amaryllis from Longfield Gardens outdid themselves, I must admit. But all good things must come to an end, and the last plant standing (‘Cherry Nymph’) is on its last bud. It had two flower stalks and more buds than I got around to counting. Here’s when it was just getting going:

'Cherry Nymph' amaryllis from Longfield Gardens

‘Cherry Nymph’ amaryllis from Longfield Gardens

Her sister bulb put on an equally good show:
'Sweet Nymph' amaryllis from Longfield Gardens

‘Sweet Nymph’ amaryllis from Longfield Gardens

The RoboGarden

AeroGarden

RoboGarden is my nickname for the AeroGarden.

The AeroGarden has been chugging out herbs. The dill grows at a phenomenal rate. I’ve harvested two bunches like this:
dill

Two bunches of dill and one of cilantro so far.

I’ve started calling it the RoboGarden because of the way it puts commands on its little screen. ADD WATER NOW is showing in the photo above. You can click to enlarge it, if you don’t believe me. Sort of reminds me of The Hungry Thing, a picture book from my children’s childhood. (Said Thing comes to town with a sign around its neck that says “Feed Me.”) And the mint did finally sprout, but it is getting leggy because I have to keep the light raised because of the dill growing so fast.

Other Good News

The orchid that I said never changed is changing. It has a bud on it. Will wonders never cease. And my non-hardy ‘Goodwin Creek’ lavender is actually making new leaves, which tells me the sunshine (when we get it) is stronger and the days are getting longer. If that sounds like grasping at straws, well–it is.

Inspired by the words of Elizabeth Lawrence, “We can have flowers nearly every month of the year,” Carol of May Dreams Gardens started Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. On the 15th of every month, garden bloggers from all over the world publish what is currently blooming in their gardens, and leave a link in Mr. Linky and the comments of May Dreams Gardens.

Don’t miss the book giveaway going on now! Kerry Ann Mendez wrote a terrific guest post and is giving away an autographed copy of her book, The Right-Size Flower Garden

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.

~Albert Camus in Albert Camus quotations

commonweeder February 19, 2015, 2:32 pm

I have icicles and one amaryllis blooming – and this is the amaryllis that had no foliage, until just now, and this is the THIRD set of blossoms it has put out. Amazing.

Meredith Nurseries February 19, 2015, 10:35 am

Very interesting post and some really great photos to we had big issue with the snowfall this year to. Thanks for the post I will be sharing this with my team!

Kimberley at Cosmos and Cleome February 17, 2015, 11:57 am

About a week ago, I knocked all the icicles off our gutters, but a fine new crop has already sprouted and grown.
Yes, indeed, the sun is stronger–the new leaves emerging from some of my houseplants are evidence of that.
The first of my amaryllises is blooming right now, and I have a few more well on their way. The current one is red, and I want to try to urge it into bloom near Christmas next year. Maybe I should make a note on November’s calendar page so I actually remember! I like the double blooms on the Nymphs. I have a double called ‘Elvas’ that’s very near opening.
Nice to see that you’re getting some good results from the “robo garden!” And good luck with the orchid. It can take almost FOREVER for those buds to open, but then the flowers last almost FOREVER too, so it’s all worthwhile!

Linnae February 16, 2015, 11:38 pm

Most years we’re right there with you. I’ve been doing spring chores–in February! All the while, I keep thinking there’s going to be a blizzard on the way any day now, just to even things up. Stay warm!

Frank February 16, 2015, 1:16 pm

Those icicles look great! Better you than me šŸ™‚
We’re back up on to the plus side of the Fahrenheit scale so things are much better here. The amaryllis are great and I’m hoping mine can do the same in a couple weeks since I just repotted the bulbs. They arent as fancy as yours though, I really like the coloring and the doubleness!

Nicki Wiederstein February 15, 2015, 11:54 pm

Thank you for flowers in winter.
I’d like to put on a 4 season room or conservatory to our house. I could take care of plants all winter. Any ideas for conservatory or 4 seasons room

Lea February 15, 2015, 5:08 pm

Lovely Amaryllis blooms!
I have two bulbs that have been resting. I started one last Sunday and the other one yesterday.
Happy Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day!
Lea

Joanne Toft February 15, 2015, 11:18 am

My Christmas caactus is just finishing it’s bloom cycle and the African violet is starting to bloom again with more sun light. My amaryllis did not get a rest period and is just sitting there. So I am trying now but not sure it will grow this year. Hope I haven’t lost the bulb altogether. We have had a light snow this year in Minnesota but cold now.

Kathy Purdy February 15, 2015, 1:03 pm

Joanne, mine haven’t always gotten a rest period, or got a rest period at the wrong time, and have gone on to bloom again, so I don’t think you’ve lost the bulb because of that.

Carol February 15, 2015, 10:52 am

Our winter has been so mild, we don’t even have icicles growing. (Iciclus winterus, right?) Thanks for joining in for bloom day.

Alana February 15, 2015, 10:51 am

Those icicles have sprouted on my Southern Tier house, too, Kathy. My amaryllis are in various stages of growing their leaves so I’ve enjoyed your pictures of blooms. Only one of them bloomed last year for me. And I keep thinking “I must get one of those Robo Gardens. Only the cost is keeping me back. My surprise was in finding out my almost 20 year old dracaena had bloomed at some point. Just think, without GBBD, I never would have lifted that window shade today.

Jane Rutkowski February 15, 2015, 7:48 am

Hi Cathy,
Love your amaryllis! They are just the most amazing flowers, aren’t they? Right now mine are finished blooming and just making leaves. Eventually they’ll go outside for “summer vacation”. Heck, I’ll be happy when I can go outside for summer vacation.
Happy gardening,