Garden Bloggers Bloom Day February 2013

by Kathy Purdy on February 15, 2013 · 14 comments

in What's up/blooming

My impulsively purchased orchid still looks fantastic, and while one forced hyacinth is past its prime, another is getting ready to take its place. This “Christmas” cactus was also an impulse purchase a couple of years ago. It blooms quite a while after my other two and thus extends the indoor winter bloom season.

coral-flowered Christmas cactus

This is the only new plant blooming since last month.

I also have a lovely Valentine’s Day bouquet enlivening my desk.
Flower arrangement of red carnations, white alstroemeria, baby's breath, and one red rose.

My desktop bouquet, as seen from above.

The snowdrops outdoors continue to play hide-and-seek, as the snow melts and then accumulates again.
These are the furthest along of the earliest blooming snowdrops.

These are the furthest along of the earliest blooming snowdrops.

I give myself a small pat on the back for choosing a microclimate for them conducive to early blooming. My guess is it will be March before they actually open.

Inspired by the words of Elizabeth Lawrence, “We can have flowers nearly every month of the year,” Carol of May Dreams Gardens started Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. On the 15th of every month, garden bloggers from all over the world publish what is currently blooming in their gardens, and leave a link in Mr. Linky and the comments of May Dreams Gardens.

Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
Lou Erickson

Florida Landscaping Company February 26, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Kathy,
Christmas Cactus tends to grow quite well here in Central Florida…so long as we keep them out of the full sun and keep them hydrated. Thanks for the wonderful pictures and post!

Carol - May Dreams Gardens February 24, 2013 at 12:20 pm

My “Christmas” cacti were also blooming for bloom day. They probably got all stressed from my poor watering habits! Thanks for joining in.

Diane C February 22, 2013 at 2:53 pm

My grandmother was given a Christmas cactus when my father was born. It thrived until my mother watered it with salted water. :(

Andrew February 20, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I’ve never seen a Christmas Cactus before. Beautiful photos! Keeps me anxious for spring.

Kathy Purdy February 20, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Really? You’ve never seen a Christmas cactus? They are usually in the big box stores in November and December.

Andrew February 20, 2013 at 9:30 pm

No, I can’t say that I have. I’m more into vegetable gardening tho, but I still do a fair share with flowering plants.

Kathy Purdy February 21, 2013 at 9:08 am

Well, that is interesting. I thought everyone had a grandmother with a Christmas cactus, but I see now that not everyone does. I am glad to have introduced you. A fairly easy houseplant that blooms in winter. It needs a cool room to set buds in fall.

Donna@Gardens Eye View February 16, 2013 at 10:15 am

Kathy you have so many wonderful blooms to keep you company…we still have snow on the ground here so no blooms… hopefully March will be warmer and the very early bulbs will come out to play!

Alana February 15, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Lovely Christmas Cactus. No snowdrops for Binghamton yet but…give it time. What a difference the next month will make. Can’t wait till spring. Happy GBBD.

Leslie February 15, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I look forward to your snowdrop photos! In the meanwhile your indoor blooms and bouquet are a nice spirit lifter.

Jason February 15, 2013 at 2:57 pm

This is the time of year when the neighbors wonder why I’m staring at the dirt so hard.

Bhavya @ Flower Aura February 28, 2013 at 7:25 am

Man, you stole my thought :) My neighbours get panicky too.

Nell Jean February 15, 2013 at 9:34 am

The joys of watching tiny shoots move ever upward cannot be descibed.

Love that Schlumbergera! I’ve decided there can’t be too many and have little cuttings set to root. Happy Bloom day.

commonweeder February 15, 2013 at 8:55 am

No bare ground in Heath, but my paper whites and white cyclamen have been amazing bloomers this winter. Still going.