Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day January 2013

by Kathy Purdy on January 15, 2013 · 15 comments

in What's up/blooming

I practice what I preach. I make sure I have plants to help get me through the winter.

windowsill plants

These plants keep me company for winter and provide a stockpile of cuttings for summer.

In fact, that pot of narcissus was in my last post about cabin fever.

Flowers Now, and More Flowers Later

Yes, that is the same red dragonwing begonia from last winter. Last winter I brought a fairly big pot of it inside. This year I took cuttings before frost and rooted them in water, then potted them up. It makes for a smaller pot, thus more room for other plants. I plan to cut it back in March, and root those cuttings. Between the current cuttings and the ones I plan to take, I should have enough for a really full, large container, and probably some extras to give to friends. I am wintering over the coleus so I can take cuttings of it, too. Wintering over plants accomplishes two things: provides beauty and interest to help me get through the winter, and provides a source of free plants for the following growing season.

Forcing Hyacinths: Still Learning

hyacinths forcing

I put the one on the left on water on Christmas Day. The one on the right was started last Friday.

I started chilling my hyacinths earlier this year than I had in previous years, on September 30th. It seemed like last winter the flowers barely emerged from the leaves, and I thought that might be from not chilling long enough. Since I started chilling them that early, I could have started one on December 9th and it would have had ten weeks of chilling. And I would have had a hyacinth blooming sooner. Next year I will mark on the calendar when to take the first one out. It was always my plan to bring them out sequentially, so I would always have one blooming. But I seem to be giving many away, and why not? The promise of an early spring is a very fine thing to give away.

The Promise of Spring

Speaking of the promise of spring, the January thaw that we have been enjoying revealed this:

emerging snowdrops

These snowdrops won’t bloom anytime soon. Snow predicted tonight. But I won’t forget they are there.(Click on photo to enlarge)

A Little Too Much Is Never Enough

And the hunger for beauty never ceases. Look what hopped into my grocery cart today:

phalaenopsis orchid

I don’t know how to pronounce Phalaenopsis, but this orchid won me over. I am a sucker for pale yellow.

My Christmas cactus has a couple of blooms on it, too.

Inspired by the words of Elizabeth Lawrence, “We can have flowers nearly every month of the year,” Carol of May Dreams Gardens started Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. On the 15th of every month, garden bloggers from all over the world publish what is currently blooming in their gardens, and leave a link in Mr. Linky and the comments of May Dreams Gardens.

The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just on the body, but the soul.
Alfred Austin

landscape design Palos Verdes February 28, 2013 at 12:45 am

It is a blast of January. Loved the last one. Yellow flower rocks and of-course you would have won the place because of it.

antjon February 15, 2013 at 1:30 am

you certainly know your stuff Kathy, you inspire me.

andy January 22, 2013 at 11:57 am

I like the way you put the flowers in the pot.
Pot is very attractive and more beautiful flowers.

donna January 21, 2013 at 2:12 pm

How would we ever get through the winter if not for the indoor blooming plants? Enjoyed the photos very much. My orchid that bloomed last December is now about to bloom again.

Jayne January 21, 2013 at 7:39 am

I bring in the favorites as well! Some of the prized begonias never go out, but many live under garden furniture and enjoy their days in the sun. But now is indoors waiting for warmer days – just like me! Love to take cuttings – makes the Winter go by more quickly!

Charlie January 20, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Love the photos, they serve to brighten my day and give me hope that Spring is coming soon.

Jenn January 19, 2013 at 9:50 pm

“Phalaenopsis” fae la o nop sis (or close)

Love these guys. I have one blooming for the SECOND time! Joy.

Diane C January 18, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Your picture of the Snow Drops got me hoping for an early spring. I’ll have to check around in my yard as well.

Donna@Gardens Eye View January 17, 2013 at 1:57 am

Looking lovely…I do want to learn to force bulbs, grow orchids and try to bring in my begonias to overwinter and take cuttings..thx for the idea Kathy!

Jason January 16, 2013 at 2:44 pm

We have snowdrops up as well, and they are much closer to blooming. However, only the ones in a protected but sunny spot have emerged.

Dee January 16, 2013 at 7:29 am

I’m trying to post this comment from my phone. I wish I were better at it. I love what jumped in your grocery cart. Also love how you keep your begonia alive throughout the seasons. We must do what we need to to take care of ourselves in the winter. It sounds like you figured it out. Happy Bloom Day!

Frances January 16, 2013 at 6:32 am

It looks so bright and cheerful at your place, Kathy! I love the color on the orchid, too. Watch out, you might get drawn into the addiction of Orchid Fever! Happy GBBD, my friend.

Leslie January 15, 2013 at 10:36 pm

There are lots of pretty blooms there for you to enjoy, cold climate or not. Happy Bloom Day!

Cindy, MCOK January 15, 2013 at 9:56 pm

That Phalaenopsis is gorgeous! You are generous to share your hyacinths …. what a lovely way to think of it!