Fall-blooming Crocus Continue for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day December 2012

by Kathy Purdy on December 15, 2012 · 12 comments

in What's up/blooming

I think these are Crocus speciosus 'Conqueror'

I think these are Crocus speciosus ‘Conqueror’

Yes, it’s true. The fall-blooming crocus I wrote about for last month’s Garden Bloggers’ Bloom Day are still blooming. Some of the pale ones came up and are trying to bloom, thanks to a series of unseasonably warm days.
The pale yellow autumn crocus are attempting to bloom, as well as one valiant Helleborus niger

The leaves of the pale ones emerge simultaneously with the flowers, so all the grass-like crocus leaves that you see are probably C. cartwrightianus ‘Albus’. As always, you can click on any photo to enlarge it.
Here's a better shot of the Christmas rose. Couldn't find the tag.

Here’s a better shot of the Christmas rose. Couldn’t find the tag.

There are a few Johnny-jump-ups blooming in a hunkered down fashion.

There are a few Johnny-jump-ups blooming in a hunkered down fashion.

flowering tobacco blooming indoors

Click to enlarge

I also have a bloom inside the house. A flowering tobacco seeded into my pot of rosemary. Rosemary, of course, isn’t hardy in my climate and I bring the rosemary indoors every winter. This flowering tobacco plant was growing in the container last winter and may have been there even longer, I can’t remember. I never pulled it out because I was just curious to see what it would do. It has bloomed when outdoors but I always cut it back to the rosette of leaves when I bring it in for the winter and this is the first time it has bloomed indoors. Three blossoms–how about that?
flowering tobacco in rosemary pot blossoms

Count ‘em: three blossoms and a couple of buds.

All in all, about as good as I can expect for December.

Inspired by the words of Elizabeth Lawrence, “We can have flowers nearly every month of the year,” Carol of May Dreams Gardens started Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. On the 15th of every month, garden bloggers from all over the world publish what is currently blooming in their gardens, and leave a link in Mr. Linky and the comments of May Dreams Gardens.

Gardening is never risk free. It's not risk free in your first year and it's not risk free in your 40th. . . .There's always another strange spin on the ball. There's always more to learn.
Michele Owens, Grow the Good Life

commonweeder December 20, 2012 at 9:32 am

This weird weather makes our blooming rationales very difficult. Once I realized that these warm winters are encouraging the survival and dispersal of pests like the emerald ash borer I pray for zero temperatures. None in sight.

Charlie December 17, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I absolutely love the photos and enjoyed see the plants still left in your garden. I am lucky to have blooms in all four seasons so I find myself walking through the garden on some pretty cold days.

Les December 16, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Shouldn’t you have snow on the ground by now, instead of crocus pushing up through?

Kathy Purdy December 16, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Yes, we usually do have snow on the ground by now. As to the crocus, in another comment I mentioned that I planted them late, and suspected that is why they are still blooming. It will be interesting to see how they behave next autumn.

Donna@Gardens Eye View December 16, 2012 at 9:35 am

Amazing to see those crocus and viola still blooming.

Lee@A Guide To Northeastern Gardening December 15, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Nice colorful blooms for December. I have not seen a fall blooming crocus so this was certainly a treat! Happy GBBD!

Carol - May Dreams Gardens December 15, 2012 at 4:26 pm

A great showing for upstate New York in December. Thanks for joining in.

patsybell December 15, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Well, you always surprise me. I imagined all the blooms were gone where you live, because they are gone here in the midwest. Wonderful to see.

Layanee December 15, 2012 at 3:11 pm

That is quite the color. Yes, more than can be normally expected for December. You have planned well.

Frances December 15, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Wow, Kathy, is this new weather turning your cold climate garden into zone 7? I love the tobacco flowers, they are sweetly scented? Happy GBBD!

Kathy Purdy December 15, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Well, I think it gets a lot colder at night than it does in Zone 7, and we had our first frost a lot sooner than would be typical in Zone 7, and will probably have our last frost a lot later. So, no, it’s not turning into Zone 7, it’s turning into a different kind of Zone 4 or 5. But since this is the first year I planted these crocus, and I planted them later than the included cultural directions advised, I’m not at all sure this is typical for these autumn-blooming crocus. Only time will tell.

As to the fragrance, if I stick my nose right on the flower and inhale deeply, I detect a faint whiff. They were more fragrant outdoors in summer.

Nicole December 15, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Hi Kathy, congrats on your 3 December blooms. I have tried to grow nicotiana without success, must try again next year.