Colchicum Sprouting When Received: Three for Thursday

by Kathy Purdy on September 30, 2010 · 10 comments

in Colchicums

Sometimes when you get a mail order colchicum it is already sprouting in the bag. I have read that if that happens, you should cut off the blossoms and plant the corm. I decided to plant the corm at the appropriate depth, but leave the flowers uncovered until after they bloomed.

sprouting colchicum

Day one

colchicum sprouting

Day two

colchicum Beaconsfield blooming

Day three

Please remember this is an experiment. I have no idea if this is helpful or harmful to the plant. This is Colchicum ‘Beaconsfield’, by the way. More on that tomorrow.

Three for Thursday is brought to you by Cindy of From My Corner of Katy: “Pick 3 pictures of plants from your garden … tell us about 3 books you’ve read that you want to share … rant about 3 things that bug the heck out of you … show us 3 pieces of garden art or 3 photos of egregious crimes against gardening … you choose what your three will be.” Just have fun, be creative and leave her a comment when your post is up!

Gardening at first felt like a natural pleasure, and then it became a necessary one.
Laurie Lisle

kerri October 14, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Those Colchicums from Lynn were doing the same thing in the paper bag by the time we got Kylie’s garden ready to plant them. We were greatly surprised when they bloomed so beautifully!

Lisa Ueda October 4, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Love it, half the fun of gardening is in the experimentation. Awesome color.

gail September 30, 2010 at 10:46 pm

I hope it makes many blooms next year!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter September 30, 2010 at 5:00 pm

I’m not sure why it would make a difference. The plant gets energy from the leaves each year to produce the flowers. This corm is fully charged up, and has already formed the flower buds, so how could it become significantly less depleted by cutting them off?

Cyndy September 30, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Hi Kathy, Mine bloomed their first season, about a month after planting last year. No noticeable ill effects observed. My planting tip with these sweet floppers is to interplant with stachys byzantina, similar to the geranium combo suggested by your guest blogger, but no clipping or mowing required…

Kathy Purdy September 30, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Oh, yes, I have done a similar combination, but I used Lychnis coronaria, which has the same celadon foliage.

Layanee September 30, 2010 at 2:26 pm

The advice is probably good given there are no roots while flowering but it is difficult to cut that bloom.

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove September 30, 2010 at 2:22 pm

I have bought them like this before. I never once thought about cutting the flowers off, they are so precious. They come up fine the following year, but perhaps they would have been stronger if I hadn’t let them bloom.

Kathy Purdy September 30, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I wish I could remember where I read that. It’s possible it was referring to fully bloomed before being shipped. But yes, obviously I couldn’t stand to cut them off myself.