Earliest Colchicums Ever

by Kathy Purdy on August 24, 2010 · 10 comments

in Colchicums

colchicums emerging

I've never seen colchicums bloom this early

After two days of much-needed rain, I decided to walk around the garden to see what I could see. I wasn’t really expecting to see colchicums blooming, because they usually start in September. Perhaps the extended hot and dry spell, followed by the cool, rainy weather encouraged them to break dormancy early. At any rate, it was a pleasant surprise. These ones should be the variety ‘Zephyr’.

It's Human Nature, or at least a gardener's nature (which is not quite the same thing), to want to live at least one and preferably two climatic zones warmer than where he gardens
Henry Mitchell

Sue August 25, 2010 at 11:22 am

Beautiful. I checked and they are even good in my zone. Where would be the best place to order them from and is one species better than another? Thanks.

Kathy Purdy August 25, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I bought mine from Odyssey Bulbs, but ‘Zephyr’ is sold out. They do have other colchicums available still. Odyssey Bulbs has the largest selection, but many other bulb companies sell at least a few kinds.

Cindy, MCOK August 24, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Interesting … one of my Oxblood Lilies bloomed last week, which is about 3 weeks earlier than expected. By the way, it’s so funny to me to see Violas blooming in August!

Kathy Purdy August 24, 2010 at 11:07 pm

The Johnny-jump-ups get a bit scraggly by August, but with this rain we are heading into fall and they are getting a new lease on life.

Dee @ Red Dirt Ramblings August 24, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Beautiful photo. Congrats on them starting early.

Craig @ Ellis Hollow August 24, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Guess I’ll head out tomorrow and start pulling back all the foliage of other plants that are probably snuffing out mine as I type.

Frances August 24, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Oh, that does seem early. I would call that stage close enough to be blooming! We have C. speciousus that will not show until October.

Gail August 24, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I have great hopes to see them soon~ I love these beauties! gail

Mr. McGregor's Daughter August 24, 2010 at 3:57 pm

My Colchicum ‘The Giant’ have sprouted, but they aren’t blooming yet. I haven’t checked to see if that’s early, but I suspect not. Yours blooming early is interesting.

Kathy Purdy August 24, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Well, do you call the colchicums above sprouted or blooming? They are showing color but they’re not open yet.