Garden Bloggers Bloom Day January 2010

– Posted in: What's up/blooming

There’s Nothing Blooming Outside

The plants I saw two and a half weeks ago are buried under snow.

No Houseplants Are Blooming

The Christmas cactus that provided a bloom this time last year dropped its one and only blossom a couple of days ago.

My Forced Bulbs Aren’t Ready Yet–Neither Hyacinths

My forced hyacinth is just barely getting started:

Hyacinth in glass vase

The green tip on this hyacinth bulb has just barely emerged

According to Elizabeth Licata, the chilling period for hyacinths is about 8 weeks. Then it is another couple of four weeks until they bloom. I started chilling this one on November 29th. Assuming threefour weeks from end of chilling period to bloom, I should have started it more than a month earlier on October 30th23rd if I wanted it to bloom for Bloom Day.

Nor Tazettas

These Grand Soleil d'Or tazetta narcissus are a little further along

I also started some Grand Soleil d’Or tazettas. (Tazettas are a kind of daffodil that don’t need a cold winter to bloom. As a matter of fact, they won’t survive in the ground here up north, but Texans can plant them in the ground.) Again, according to Elizabeth, these can take up to eight weeks to bloom. So for them to be blooming today, I should have started them on November 20th. But I bought them at Brent and Becky’s clearance sale, and they were delivered on December 18th, and I started chilling them on December 20th.

The Only Blooms Are On The Wall

Long story short: I have nothing blooming for Bloom Day.

This wallpaper border is as close as I get:

Redoute wallpaper

This Waverly wallpaper border is based on paintings by Redouté

According to Waverly, this wallpaper was “derived from Les liliacées illustrated by Pierre-Joseph Redouté, botanical illustrator of the 18th and early 19th centuries, and published in France in 1802.”

Inspired by the words of Elizabeth Lawrence, “We can have flowers nearly every month of the year,” Carol of May Dreams Gardens started Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. On the 15th of every month, garden bloggers from all over the world publish what is currently blooming in their gardens, and leave a link in Mr. Linky and the comments of May Dreams Gardens.

Don’t miss our Botanic Interests seed giveaway, going on now through Sunday!

What differentiates a bulb from a perennial plant is that the nourishment for the flower is stored within the bulb itself.…There is something miraculous about the way that a little grenade of dried up tissue can explode into a complete flower.

~Monty Don in The Complete Gardener pp. 142

Ilona February 9, 2010, 4:07 am

I just saw this post- and that is the exact same wallpaper I used to have in my kitchen- before it was remodeled and the walls were then painted. It took me back to earlier memories:0 I loved that wallpaper.

kerri January 19, 2010, 3:43 pm

Kathy, at least you have these lovely blooms to look forward to 🙂
I have Paperwhites and Amaryllis started. Sure wish I had hyacinths and tarzettas too! Perhaps next year.
Love that pretty wallpaper border.
The snow was pretty this morning and I enjoyed the 40º temps. A nice change from the frigid air we had during the previous weeks. It’s been an interesting winter weatherwise thus far!

eliz January 17, 2010, 9:27 pm

Actually, the hyacinths take about 4 weeks or better after the initial chilling. But they’ll still be welcome. I like the marbles too. I am thinking of using some round glass balls like that, but clear ones. The roots of the bulbs blend better with them.

Melody January 17, 2010, 9:16 pm

The border flowers are so elgant and dainty – something beautiful to look at every day.

leavesnbloom Scotland January 16, 2010, 3:54 pm

Oh Kathy I loved the photo of the trees stretching up to try to reach the sun. I loved the tints and hues in the branches – its a great photo. Its only 62 days till spring officially arrives – it wont be long now! I can’t wait.

Cyndy January 16, 2010, 6:26 am

Green shoots, green shoots! How we cling to them in the north. Love those marbles.

Annie in Austin January 16, 2010, 1:06 am

The bulbs may not be blooming, Kathy, but they still promise you many weeks of pleasure just watching them grow, right? There is nothing in bloom inside my house – amaryllis didn’t cooperate and the Christmas cactus were done…and instead of snow we have flash flood warnings.
The wallpaper border is beautiful! Happy Blooming Day!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Sarah from Toronto Gardens January 15, 2010, 6:27 pm

Another thumbs up from me for that fabulous combination of marbles and striped glass bowl for your paperwhites. Beautiful. Will attempt to find a similar bowl to re-create this pairing. I love marbles!

gail January 15, 2010, 6:01 pm

Kathy, The photo of the tree tops glowing in the setting sun is wonderful…I had no blooms either except for grocery store tulips! gail

Helen Yoest @ Gardening With Confidence January 15, 2010, 5:08 pm

Love the marbles with the bowl. Very beautiful combo. Hardly matters there is not bloom! H.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter January 15, 2010, 4:56 pm

I like the marbles in with your Tazettas, very colorful & they match perfectly with the vase.

Kathy Purdy January 15, 2010, 5:24 pm

I was lucky with the color matching. My kids have a huge collection of marbles and most of them were, as you and Helen both noted, exactly the right color.