Here, but not here

– Posted in: Events

As seen at Juniper Level Botanic Gardens

As seen at Juniper Level Botanic Gardens

I’m living in an alternate reality called the Garden Writers Association Annual Symposium in Raleigh, NC. I get up and get on a bus and am transported to an alien world where the plants are, well, different. I’ve only got my netbook and my photo editing tools are lame, so more when I get home. If you’re on Twitter, search on #gwa for more.

Now, the digging and dividing of perennials, the general autumn cleanup and the planting of spring bulbs are all an act of faith. One carries on before the altar of delayed gratification, until the ground freezes and you can’t do any more other than refill the bird feeder and gaze through the window, waiting for the snow. . . . Meanwhile, it helps to think of yourself as a pear tree or a tulip. You will blossom spectacularly in the spring, but only after the required period of chilling.

~Adrian Higgins in The Washington Post, November 6, 2013

Helen @ Gardening With Confidence October 2, 2009, 6:27 am

Hey Kathy,

I was very happy to finally meet you #GWA. And my good fortune to sit next to you at dinner the last evening. Already looking forward to Dallas, but hope to see you with @GWI in NY this summer. H.

John @ bigjobsboard October 1, 2009, 3:52 am

I was browsing the net looking for some pictures of plants. And I came to your blog. Wow! You have a wonderful trip. I don’t have a twitter account. So I hope you’ll post more pictures of that different plants here in your blog site. I’ll bookmark it.Thanks.
.-= John @ bigjobsboard´s last blog ..Credit Supervisor, Atlanta, GA to $65K =-.

Gail September 28, 2009, 4:40 pm

Kathy, I did want to go, but, couldn’t quite justify another trip! I am glad to hear you all have had a great time~~gail
.-= Gail´s last blog ..Rough and Tumble Wildflower Beauties =-.

patty craft September 28, 2009, 8:06 am

so happy to have met you @ GWA! Hope your trip home went smoothly. I had an amazing time in Raleigh and am already dreaming about Dallas next year.

peace on the path

Kathy Purdy September 28, 2009, 6:40 pm

Patty, I was delighted to meet you, too. Yes, I am home now after an uneventful trip. Trying to catch up on my real life and hit the ground running tomorrow.

Robin Ripley September 26, 2009, 4:56 pm

I wish I were living that alternate reality with you. It broke my heart to have to cancel out to stay home and work. But work is work and I’m grateful to have it. Enjoy!

.-= Robin Ripley´s last blog ..Fall Transitions at Bumblebee =-.

Rundy September 26, 2009, 7:57 am

You could install Gimp. Actually, Gthumbviewer is a nice thing for quick touch-up and resizing, if that is all you want. Since you are now using a Ubuntu variant on that laptop, you should be able to install both.
.-= Rundy´s last blog ..The Empty Couch =-.

Kathy Purdy September 28, 2009, 7:25 am

Ok, tech support. I’ll give it a whirl when I get home, but time is too precious right now