Top Garden Twitterers

by Kathy Purdy on December 10, 2008 · 34 comments

in Blogging Art and Practice

On his TwitTip blog Darren Rowse challenged people to come up with ten must-follow tweeters for their own particular niche. Naturally, I immediately thought of the garden tweeters.

I found it pretty challenging to decide on ten, because most people who tweet (that is, use Twitter) don’t limit themselves to one topic. So should I pick the ones that tweet most often on gardening topics, the ones with the best gardening blogs, the ones that tweet the most often on whatever . . . Do you see the difficulty?

I finally decided to put the Texas garden tweeters in their own separate category. Austin, Texas has more garden bloggers than any other city, but they don’t all use Twitter, so I threw in anyone else from Texas along with them.

Then I pretty much went through my timeline for the last 24 hours and added everyone that seemed to be about gardening. I’d like to know about any other gardener who’s on Twitter that’s not on this list. And my apologies to anyone that I’m already following that I somehow missed while copying and pasting and switching between screens.

Not in any particular order . . .

25+ non-Texas Garden Tweeters

6. AnnieinAustin
  7. ReneesRoots
  8. Vertie
  9. Good_n_Evil
  10. FarmingLassie
  11. InBloom

If you’re already on Twitter, you know the deal. For those of you not yet tweeting: if you click on any of the above links, you will be taken to that person’s profile page. On the right sidebar you will find a brief biography and a graphical representation of the people that person follows. On the left you will see their chosen image (photo or avatar) and once you are registered with Twitter, a button under their image to click if you wish to follow their updates.

What are you waiting for? Come join us!

This is the essence of gardening. Looking forward, planning ahead, feeling as if you are wresting the garden from the grasp of its fatigue. It seems trite to mention it, but fall bed work bestows an enormous amount of pride and sense of accomplishment. It lifts the blues of a brutal year and fills a long winter with the joys of a new spring.
Adrian Higgins, 14 Oct 2010

raine August 30, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Our plants and veges always got eaten by possums. The chillie bushes got eaten and then barks stripped. Two years ago we put gravel around the gardens which really helped. We wanted to share this information with anyone who has the same problems. The possums do not like walking on gravel and they have not been near our plants since we surrounded the garden with it.

Paige Williams January 7, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Hi – you’ve got a fascinating gardener and outdoorswoman in your midst: Dolly Freed, author of Possum Living: How to Live Well Without a Job and Almost No Money. Would love for you to read all about her on my website, http://www.paige-williams.com. Thanks! Paige

Paige Williams January 7, 2010 at 9:46 pm

(In Texas, to be clear.)

Michael September 1, 2009 at 11:27 pm

Great list of garden tweeters. I found another list at http://www.improveyourhomeandgarden.com/top-ten-gardening-tweeters that has some additional garden twits. :) Thanks for sharing with a fellow gardener.

Jennah March 8, 2009 at 10:55 am

You can add me! I’m @jennahw. I’ll definitely be adding some garden tweeps to my follow list! Thanks. (Also shared this list on my blog – hope you don;t mind.)

Neil Moran October 30, 2009 at 8:41 am

The list is a great way to get the word out who is tweeting. I’m on board as well. I’ll be tweeting about gardening in general, gardening in the cold climate (northern Michigan) in particular.

Joe Lamp'l January 23, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Thanks Kathy. I know you didn’t intend to leave me off and at the time you posted that, I was just learning how to spell tweeter…or twitter or whatever it is!

Amanda Thomsen January 21, 2009 at 9:49 am

Thanks for the shout-out!

Rock on!

Joe Lamp'l January 15, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Guess I arrived late to the dance but better late than never: Joe Lamp’l, aka ‘@joegardener’.

Kathy Purdy January 15, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Hi, Joe, thanks for stopping by. I don’t know when you started on Twitter, but I didn’t find you until after these lists were made. No slight was intended, and as you know, I do follow you now.

Shawna Coronado January 15, 2009 at 9:04 am

THANK YOU for the awesome mention. I am definitely an addicted gardener – addicted to KissMyAster of course! You rock!

Take care and happy blogging!

Shawna Coronado

Anthony December 17, 2008 at 11:36 am

I was wondering why a bunch of garden bloggers have just started following me. Thanks for adding me to the list. See you all on Twitter.

Kylee from Our Little Acre December 17, 2008 at 10:42 am

Hi Kathy,

I think you already follow me on Twitter (I know I follow you), but I’ve been pretty lax about using it. I didn’t used to use Facebook all that much either, but now I do, so maybe with so many other gardeners on Twitter, I’ll get better at it!

renee December 16, 2008 at 8:58 pm

Thanks for the tweet-out, Kathy. Twitter is a great quick way to get acquainted with more garden writers. I don’t do a very good job of keeping up with all the blogs I like, or the tweeters, but it’s fun trying.

Robin Wedewer December 15, 2008 at 9:20 am

Thanks for including me on the Tweet Out, Kathy. I love Twitter and have enjoyed getting to know the people that I follow.

There’s not so very much to Twitter about in my very cold garden right now. At least I can live vicariously those TX Twitter-ers and their warmer weather.

Robin Wedewer

Vanessa Richins aka TreesandShrubs December 14, 2008 at 6:03 am

(And just to be clear, I consider myself an Uber Garden Geek :) )

Vanessa Richins aka TreesandShrubs December 14, 2008 at 6:00 am

Wow, thanks for the mention! I love Twitter. Probably too much.

P. Allen Smith is on Twitter now too. Fun stuff.

I love to be able to talk to other gardening geeks…er enthusiasts :D

Plangarden (Roy) December 13, 2008 at 2:29 am

Very cool to be mentioned in such good company. Many of the gardeners I already followed, but there were a few new tweeters that I was introduced to.
It was a great idea to do this list and it had to be quite a job to find all these garden tweers and put together such a list.
Good job and I will try to keep up with your blog too.

Pam/Digging December 13, 2008 at 1:19 am

Oh, it sounds like fun. But if I were to Tweet and keep up with other Tweets, I’d never have time for blogging and blog reading. I can barely keep up as it is.

Kathy Purdy December 13, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Pam, you are right, spending time with Twitter does take away from other things. I am constantly evaluating my “mix” of online activities. I like that Twitter limits me to short messages, and I like that I am meeting and learning from people outside my gardening circles. But yes, that means I am not doing other things.

Katie December 12, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Thank you for the shout out! (I’m @gardenofwords) I immediately started following everyone on the list that I was not already following, and am having great fun reading everybody’s tweets! It is super to have a gardening community that is broad and accessible. Kudos!

Lori December 12, 2008 at 2:19 am

Oooh, fabulous, more gardeners to follow! Pretty soon I’m not gonna be able to keep up!

Amy December 11, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Thanks for listing me! I don’t know what I ever did without Twitter. You just listed some new tweeters for me to follow.

Hugs and a cup of herbal tea,

Amy

Dave December 11, 2008 at 10:18 am

I just added several people to my follow list thanks to your post! Thanks for including me on the list (dvtown).

Theresa/GardenFreshLiving December 11, 2008 at 9:56 am

Kathy-
Thanks so much for the mention! I am humbled to be included on such a wonderful list of gifted garden tweeters! I didn’t know everyone on your list so I am adding them today. Thanks so much!

And yes…You should warn people about how addicting twitter is! Consider yourself warned people!

Patsybell December 11, 2008 at 3:23 am

Thank You! You made my day. Some days I think I’m just a worker bee and no one really reads my posts. I appreciate you.

Dee/reddirtramblings December 10, 2008 at 11:32 pm

Thanks, Kathy, for the Tweet-Out, or Twitter notice. I would have to agree. Those are some great tweeters.~~Dee a/k/a bluerose0907

mss @ Zanthan Gardens December 10, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Thanks for the mention. I began Twitter with a resolve to focus on garden-related tweets only–a sort of DONE list of accomplishments too trivial to blog. But I find myself constantly pulled into conversations, into the social networking aspect that most people get into Twitter for. I feel very lonely and cut off now if I don’t get to see what my garden friends are tweeting.

Kathy Purdy December 10, 2008 at 11:19 pm

Margaret, good to have you stop by. You should really consider going to Spring Fling and meeting a lot more garden bloggers in person. It will be in Chicago the last weekend in May.

Annie, thanks for two more gardeners to follow.

Annie in Austin December 10, 2008 at 11:08 pm

Thanks for the Twitteroundup, Kathy!

redwhiteandgrew is a TX Victory gardener and yolandaelizabet pops in once in awhile from the Netherlands. (not sure how to link them in a comment here)
Maybe you should warn people that Twitter is addictive!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Carol, May Dream Gardens December 10, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Thanks for the “tweet-out”, if that’s a good way to put it. I’ve just gone down the list and started following several more gardeners this evening.

ang/ farminglassie December 10, 2008 at 9:02 pm

Kathy, I’m quite flattered. Thank you for featuring me.

a lovely evening to you,
ang.

Margaret Roach December 10, 2008 at 8:48 pm

I didn’t know about this challenge, but had I tried to answer it I might not have thought of the clever workaround for dealing with those prolific Texans! Good idea, making them a whole list unto themselves. You and Gayla of You Grow Girl and Jane Perrone are the three bloggers I “found” first in my adventure this last year…trying to fiigure out what a garden blog was, anyhow…and you, Kathy, are the only one I’ve ever met in person. Then it was through you that I have “met” most of the rest on Twitter or in comments. Thanks on all fronts.