My entry in the Garden Olympics.

by Kathy Purdy on August 17, 2008 · 15 comments

in Miscellaneous

Here is my entry in Idaho Gardener’s Garden Olympics. I have to say, there didn’t seem much time to mull things over and pick my three entries. Here’s what I came up with under pressure.

The Secret Garden Path

narcissus_path.jpgThe path to the Secret Garden fulfills its job of luring you in by looking attractive throughout the year.

My Mosaic Birdbath

Acquiring this birdbath was a triumph of aesthetic appreciation over miserly practicality. It was an agonizing decision, but the right one. It’s beautiful, and it inspires me.

No one entering these Olympics has more kinds of Colchicums

Colchicum_Harlequin_9_19_2006_3_12_33_PM.JPGAnd then there is my colchicum collection. I have over two dozen kinds. How many kinds do you have?

Have fun judging, Mary Ann. You’ve got some tough choices ahead of you.

All who believe that there is a higher part of our nature that is worth cultivating will recognize the aesthetic side of gardening as one of its most beautiful influences.
Editors of Scientific American, 1897

Philip August 30, 2008 at 1:10 pm

I love that you have a path to the secret garden!The mosaic birdbath is wonderful. The plants which surround it must give the birds a place to perch and hop around when they drink. I have enjoyed your blog.
Best regards,
Philip

Kathy Purdy August 31, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Thank you, Philip, for stopping by with your kind comments.

TC August 19, 2008 at 5:37 pm

I love the old secret “path.” I bet there’s a tractor or two that’s worn it down a bit. Do you happen to know what kind of tree the stump is from?

I can barely see the birdbath but I detect a hint of its beauty.

I’m afraid to have naked ladies, for obvious reasons. ;~)

Mr. McGregor's Daughter August 19, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Every fall, when it’s too late, I see all the places where I could use more Colchicums. I have only 1 type. (Lame!) Your mosaic birdbath is really beautiful, even if impractical.

CurtissAnn August 19, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Kathy– I enjoyed very much seeing the pics of your garden. The path to the secret garden does invite– so natural, warm, and pleasant.

Annie in Austin August 18, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Congratulations, Kath – looks like being the Queen of Colchicums got you the silver.

You’ve already got Colchicum autumnale Alboplenum which looks pretty silvery in photos.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Daisy August 18, 2008 at 12:42 pm

I’ve never heard of colchicums before. They’re so uniquely beautiful! Everytime I see a bloom on someone’s blog, I hate having to ask myself, can I grow that here with our colder climate and short season? The title of your blog answers that for me. I really like checking things out here. Thanks!

Gail August 18, 2008 at 12:17 pm

Love colchicums ! Yours are medal worthy….there is certainly no one in your category that comes close to this lavender bloom!

Nancy August 18, 2008 at 11:25 am

I’d say you hold up under pressure very well indeed!

Kathy Purdy August 18, 2008 at 11:20 am

Lynn, the colchicums do not bloom throughout the year. They only bloom in autumn. You can get them from any reputable bulb company, but Odyssey Bulbs has a much greater selection.

Good luck with your mosaic making. My birdbath was purchased and I’ve never done mosaics myself.

Lynn August 18, 2008 at 11:08 am

Hi Kathy,
I saw autumn crocuses blooming on campus last year and they stopped me dead in my tracks! Bam! Wow! Your place must be amazing with them throughout the year. Maybe I can start now for next year at our house. Where do you recommend I find them? p.s. I’ve wanted to make a mosaic-something for years. maybe now I’ll try :) Good luck in the comp!

Cinj August 18, 2008 at 10:02 am

I love the garden path and mosaic bird bath. WOW. Of course the flowers are beautiful too, but everyone seems to have told you that already anyway.

Rose August 18, 2008 at 8:34 am

Stunning entries; I’m getting worried about the competition now, though we’ve entered different categories. Your colchicums are beautiful, but I must admit I’ve never heard of them before.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens August 18, 2008 at 6:13 am

I have as many colchicums as you sent me last fall, so fortuantely I didn’t enter that competition. I still think I have a shot at the gold medal for hoeing!

Anna August 18, 2008 at 2:38 am

I just heard a report tonight on the olympics and they said—-most of the glory is in the unseen and uncrowded moments of preparation. It shows and you you deserve a medal by my book.