Yes, I know it doesn’t look right

– Posted in: About this site

I just upgraded my version of WordPress. Because I had code in my theme (design) that would no longer work with the new version of WordPress, I needed to edit the theme before I could upgrade the software. I figured while I was at it, I’d expand the width by adding another sidebar, since just about everyone has wider screens. And I tested it out on a local server, and it looked fine.

I have been using a utility in my text editor to compare files, trying to see what file is different between the theme that works on my test machine and the theme that doesn’t on my “real” site. So far I haven’t found it, and I’m beginning to think I should look at other things that are different, like plugins.

But I’m way too tired tonight. So bear with me. It’s ugly, but it’s all there and more or less legible. If anyone can point me to a solution, I’d be very grateful.

And if you can’t point me to a solution, well, a bit of sympathy would be nice.

I re-uploaded the files to the theme, this time getting them from the test website instead of from my hard drive. Who knows where I screwed up? Thanks for your patience. I would be interested in knowing who else besides Bill finds the layout too big for their screen.

If winter is slumber and spring is birth, and summer is life, then autumn rounds out to be reflection. It’s a time of year when the leaves are down and the harvest is in and the perennials are gone. Mother Earth just closed up the drapes on another year and it’s time to reflect on what’s come before.

~Mitchell Burgess in Northern Exposure

Lynn June 19, 2008, 9:43 am

Thanks for the pictobrowser link. Looks like there is a Wordpress plugin their site links to, so I’m hopeful! p.s. your Library Thing selections were a nice distraction/resource, too. I WANT that “Making More Plants” book (buying them is expensive and I’ve got lots of bare spots to fill and patches of turf I’ve a mind to dig up and make new gardens from…)

Kathy Purdy June 18, 2008, 10:43 pm

The nice gallery is made with Pictobrowser. I don’t know if you can put it on or not. Mary Ann Newcomer actually puts it in individual blog posts. If they let you paste code into your sidebar, it will probably work.

Lynn June 18, 2008, 9:56 am

Hi Kathy and thanks for the welcome back comment. It’s great to be home! I like your new blog look. How’d you get that nice gallery at the bottom? (benefits of hosting your own site I s’pose) I found it by accident scrolling down–maybe add a link to it in your menu? Beautiful pictures! ~Lynn

Kim May 31, 2008, 11:07 am

Yeah, I like the new look, too! Great job!

FYI, I’m on a laptop viewing this site in the latest version of firefox and it’s just a tiny bit wide still. On your list of previous posts, only the “W” shows up in the title of the post of gardening gifts no one would give you. That’s where it cuts off on mine.

Diana May 30, 2008, 8:09 am

I think the new look works, but I know how hard it is when you are just not right with something. I empathize with your techno troubles, but I know you will get it all right and be happy with it, because you’re such a guru. Good luck!

Brenda May 28, 2008, 7:49 am

It looks great now! Last time I just saw code, but whatever you did to fix it worked, because it really looks nice!

Mary Ann Newcomer May 26, 2008, 11:52 pm

Yikes! I love the new look. I want it, too. I was just going to write to you about making my pictobrowser by header………..very cool that you did that and nice work. Looks good on my 19 inch screen. oxoxo

em May 24, 2008, 11:13 am

i love your favicon! how did you do it?

wiseacre May 22, 2008, 10:11 am

Your page is a bit wider than my 1024 resolution but otherwise it all looks good.

I’m fighting the urge to upgrade my wordpress installation. Tried the auto-upgrade plugin and it failed. I like wordpress but the frequency and hassles of upgrading are frustrating. Last time my admin section got messed up so I really don’t want to fool with this again. Someday when I get completely rained out I might try again.

Robin at Bumblebee May 21, 2008, 8:39 am

I like the new wider look. It shows up very well on my big monitor. It’s nice to take advantage of all that real estate.

Robin at Bumblebee

Kathy Purdy May 20, 2008, 8:00 pm

I did add the secret key to my wp-config file, but I hadn’t read that explanation of what it does. Now I know why I had to log in after I was already logged in.

I am really looking forward to trying out the gallery feature, but all this theme tinkering has put me behind on garden tasks, so it might be a while!

jenn May 20, 2008, 3:51 pm

Looks good today. (viewing at work on IE – I’ll comment again from home if the Firefox makes it look odd)

Margaret May 20, 2008, 6:52 am

Automatic Upgrade is fantastic. Good idea.
By the way, I also inserted the new one-line security key (a random line of gibberish, or that’s what it looks like, that guards against cookie attacks) into your wp.config.php file. You can read about it on this blog. Note NOT to use the line of code on the blog, but to go to the link to get your unique line of code. This was recommended on the WP dashboard and on when they went to 2.5.1, which was a critical security upgrade from 2.5.
And when you get to those photo galleries, another bit: Stuff in the “captions” (their titles and descriptions) are not automatically included in your search. If you don’t put stuff like every plant name in the body of the post w/the gallery in it, they don’t show in your blog search results. šŸ™
I am trying a fix for that today, so holler and we can compare notes when you get there (and if I do).

Vanessa May 20, 2008, 4:50 am

It’s just a tiny bit too big for me…but glad you figured out the tiny problem šŸ™‚

Kathy Purdy May 19, 2008, 10:13 pm

Yes, leave it to Kathy the packrat to take spare and simple theme and clutter it up. Maybe I will go back to two columns, but no big changes before winter. I like the new comment interface myself.

mss @ Zanthan Gardens May 19, 2008, 9:01 pm

I just upgraded (?) to the new WordPress, too and bleah! What did they do to the comment interface.

Anyway, everything does look wider but it is legible on my desktop machine. Haven’t tried it on my laptop. I do prefer the less wide as this layout seems a little busy.

I hate these upgrades too. I still haven’t been able to migrate all my old blogs and they languish in limbo where I can’t add posts and no one can comment.

Kathy Purdy May 19, 2008, 7:36 pm

Margaret, you are right: the new photo gallery has me very excited. And there are a lot of small conveniences in the administration panel that I already appreciate.

I think I will use the if exist function of php and the Automatic Upgrade plugin to make things easier next time.

Doug Green May 19, 2008, 7:01 pm

Oh Kathy – do I feel your pain! Been there – coded that. Good for you to update though, it’s on my to-do list – a long way down. šŸ˜‰

Margaret May 19, 2008, 6:38 pm

I feel your pain, but know when you get to use the latest WP it will all be worth it. I had to toss certain plug-ins along the way that were just plain trouble. And then some more. Seems like you are rounding the bend to the finish line…

bill / prairie point May 19, 2008, 10:30 am

You’ve made it too wide to fit in my laptop screen. I think if you reduced the overall width by about 150 pixels it would be better. Just search for “width” in the CSS file.

Also change the size of the font in the H2 tag – that’s the headline in the sidebar. I would also put a break before the text in the H2 tag.

I don’t know what other issues you have with the design.

Dee/reddirtramblings May 19, 2008, 8:10 am

Kathy,you are one smart cookie, so I know you will figure it out. Smart to do the post alerting people that something isn’t quite right. My screen says I need to install add’l plugins to display the media?~~Dee