Homemade EarthBoxes(TM)

– Posted in: Hardscaping and Projects, Recommended Links

Thanks to Reading Dirt, here are instructions to make a Homemade EarthBox(TM), which is a type of self-watering planter.

Now, the digging and dividing of perennials, the general autumn cleanup and the planting of spring bulbs are all an act of faith. One carries on before the altar of delayed gratification, until the ground freezes and you can’t do any more other than refill the bird feeder and gaze through the window, waiting for the snow. . . . Meanwhile, it helps to think of yourself as a pear tree or a tulip. You will blossom spectacularly in the spring, but only after the required period of chilling.

~Adrian Higgins in The Washington Post, November 6, 2013

local vegetables in Asheville, North Carolina January 24, 2008, 8:02 pm

Thank you for pointing us towards these fabulous and inexpensive EarthBoxes. I can’t wait to give them a try.

ERIKA HAMER March 28, 2007, 7:30 pm

HI THERE, I LIVE IN MAINE AND I GO IN THE WOODS ALMOST EVERYDAY AND TRACK THE MOOSE AND PICK THE MANURE. I PUT IT IN MY COMPOST ALONG WITH COFFEE GROUNDS AND LOTS OF EARTHWORMS. NEXT MONTH WHEN I TURN OVER MY GARDEN I WILL USE IT FOR FERTILIZER. I ALSO MAKE A TEA OUT OF IT FOR MY FLOWER BEDS. MY MOOSE ARE EATING PINE BRANCHES, NEW BUDS & BRANCHES. IT IS TRUE THE MANURE BREAKS DOWN FAST AND THERE IS NO SMELL AT ALL.

JUDY March 30, 2006, 7:44 pm

Yes you can use it in the compost, as Rundy says. I’m not aware of any pests they carry locally, or diseases, that could transfer. I tend to just leave all that lie as it breaks down so quickly and isn’t smelly.

Come the day we get wasting disease here (mad cow of elk), I wouldn’t, you can’t kill prions. But so far we’re ok on that score.

Rundy March 29, 2006, 10:53 am

Moose are herbivore. The end product should be no different in basic composition than using cow, horse, sheep, or goat manure. Since all of those are acceptable, moose manure is too.

At least, that is my reasoning.

Kathy Purdy March 28, 2006, 8:21 pm

I defer to Judy Miller.

Idaho Betsy March 28, 2006, 8:12 pm

Hi Kathy! Weird question, get ready….do you know if moose poop is OK for the compost bin? Not that I am going to follow her around with a bucket πŸ™‚ but there is some in my yard right now. Thanks! -Betsy