Where I’ve Been

– Posted in: Miscellaneous

I saw this at Prairie Point. I thought it was pretty interesting. Bill’s been to a lot more states than I have. I included the drive-throughs for me (Delaware and Massachusetts). And I spent a week in London in my junior year of high school, thanks to my grandmother. Come to think of it, New Hampshire was also courtesy of my grandmother. That’s the extent of my travels.

bold the states you’ve been to, underline the states you’ve lived in and italicize the state you’re in now…

Alabama / Alaska / Arizona / Arkansas / California / Colorado / Connecticut / Delaware / Florida / Georgia / Hawaii / Idaho / Illinois / Indiana / Iowa / Kansas / Kentucky / Louisiana / Maine / Maryland / Massachusetts / Michigan / Minnesota / Mississippi / Missouri / Montana / Nebraska / Nevada / New Hampshire / New Jersey / New Mexico / New York / North Carolina / North Dakota / Ohio / Oklahoma / Oregon / Pennsylvania / Rhode Island / South Carolina / South Dakota / Tennessee / Texas / Utah / Vermont / Virginia / Washington / West Virginia / Wisconsin / Wyoming / Washington D.C. /

Go HERE to have a form generate the HTML for you.

But the only state I’ve gardened in has been New York. How about you?

What differentiates a bulb from a perennial plant is that the nourishment for the flower is stored within the bulb itself.…There is something miraculous about the way that a little grenade of dried up tissue can explode into a complete flower.

~Monty Don in The Complete Gardener pp. 142

Administrator July 11, 2005, 7:01 pm

Duh, you’re right, I did live in Michigan for a summer. A summer job on Mackinac Island, to be exact. I guess it felt so temporary I didn’t think of it as living there.

Rob July 11, 2005, 6:37 pm

Hmmm, the underlining does not show up in the comments, lived in:

Maryland, New York, California, New Jersey, Texas (for work – I had an apartment, so I’m counting it), and Virginia (currently living).

Rob July 11, 2005, 6:35 pm

Have not gardened in any of them!

Rob July 11, 2005, 6:25 pm

excuse me, but didn’t you live in Michigan for a summer?

Judy Miller July 9, 2005, 8:26 pm

And let’s not forget provinces there, for the “been to”–BC,AB,SK,MB,Q… talk about cold climate gardening, when my brother lived in Saskatchewan and I lived in MN & ND we learned how mild it is in Idaho. 50’s & 60’s today and a plague of teensy green worms shot-holing the plants on the porch. They seem to have arrived with last night’s rain.

Judy Miller July 9, 2005, 8:21 pm

Gardened in ND/MN, and of course Idaho (first & last!)

Alice Nelson July 9, 2005, 2:31 pm

I have gardened in Pennsylvania a little, and some in Grand Rapids, MI,, more in Traverse City, MI, but have had more experience in the Upper Penninsula of MI, about 15 miles from Lake Superior, with some in Marquette, right on the Lake. As I’ve commented before, zones change from 5 on the lake, 4 here in Ishpeming, to 3 further south – further away from the tempering influence of the water. In the winter, we end up with more snow (up to 250″) than Marquette, since we may have snow when they have rain, and we still get the lake effect that they don’t get further south. Soils may be very sandy, or rocky and gravelly, or loam, but not too often clay. It is difficult to get really good topsoil. Which makes garden-ing interesting when you are doing it in many different places. This is all glaciated, of course, with very large boulders in some places. At least it isn’t hard to get stone if you want to work with it!

bill July 9, 2005, 12:51 pm