This just came in my mailbox:
I just stumbled across this site, and it’s great.
I am desperate to ask some of the gardeners what to do about my poor tomatoes, but cannot figure out how to post. [Ed. note: You have to register and then be approved before you can post, but anyone can submit a comment.]
In a nutshell (being swept away by our latest Nor’easter) here’s my problem:
We had an average April here in Boston. Chilly and damp, but with a week of so of pretty nice weather. Towards the end of April we managed to get the
vegetable garden tilled. I had gotten all my seedlings (tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, squash, cukes, etc.) and had them growing indoors with the light, babying them along and they were doing great. Started bringing them outside during the day to get sun, and then back indoors on the cold nights. All was going well.
Planted the garden on May 13th – well past the frost dates, and even later than I usually plant. Of course, as soon as I got the plants into the ground, this area of the Northeast decided to go into a total weather tailspin. All we have had is rain, more rain, clouds and temps well below normal. We have had rain for 16 out of the last 24 days. And the temps have been well below normal.
I can barely even stand to look out my window at the garden. The seedlings are just hunkered down looking grim. Surprisingly, the cherry tomato plants seem to be holding up better than the larger tomato varieties. I have Early Girl, Big Boy, grape and a yellow cherry tomato; also peppers (which are hanging in there). The cukes may not make it, and I’m not sure about the squash. The radish seeds however have germinated merrily, right on schedule!
We keep hoping that this weather pattern is going to change, but we still have many more days in the long-range forecast of gray/wet weather. It is supposed to start warming up by the weekend however. Today it is 45 degrees with very strong winds.
Am I going to have to completely replant all my seedlings? Is there anything that I should try to do to salvage them? Cover them up or even dig them back up and bring them back inside? I hate to think of the trauma to their roots if I do that. Or should I just write them off and see what is still growing if and when this front ever breaks up; and then re-plant as necessary?
I have never seen weather like this so late in the season, and I’m originally from northern Vermont!!!
Any help that you or your members could give me would be much appreciated. Next year I’ll wait until June to plant.
If anyone has advice to give, please submit a comment.